Monday, April 25, 2011

Laban's Contribution

Rudolf Laban made enormous contributions to dance. He not only gave descriptions to movement and changed the way we talk about it but he also gave a way to notate movement. Today his language is still used in order to describe movement and to train dancers without much of it changing. His notation system is called Laban Movement Notation. This has been used to reconstruct dances that were never recorded on video. Without Laban we could not see some of the works that existed before video was around. Today educated dancers usually undergo some kind of training in his studies. Some of his students used his work to develop something of their own such as Bartinieff Fundamentals. Others have used his tetrahedron to develop other ways to organize compositional techniques to create movement. Another one of his major contributions was the movement choirs which is discussed in the above Youtube video. There are countless contributions he has made to dancers around the world with the work he did.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the information that you posted about Laban Notation, but I was wondering if you could talk about dance theatre as well. I have been studying Pina Bausch, who was heavily impacted by Rudolf von Laban. She was not as focused on his ideas of notation but the idea of how he incorporated many different performance disciplines into one production. Could you talk about how Rudolf von Laban may have come up with the idea of dance theatre or what his perception of dance theatre may have been?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dance theatre was only mentioned in the readings I did on Laban. I could not find anything more detailed about dance theatre. I wish I could tell you more because I went back through many of my readings to try to get more information on this for you. Since your question is sorely based on this I do not believe I can answer your question at this time.

    ReplyDelete