Tuesday, May 3, 2011

What Laban Means to Me...




A great gift is given to any dancer who studies Laban Movement Analysis. LMA has given me tools and a vocabulary that I could never come up with on my own. Without Laban this contribution to the dance world would not exist. I take his work quite seriously because it enables me to look an analyze movement in a specific way and in a language that any dancer who has studied Laban's work could understand. Hardly any of the language has changed over the years, meaning that Laban was ahead of his time. Anyone can dance but not every dancer understands how and why they move. Laban's work should be understood, at least at an rudimentary level. All of the dancers that surround me in class seem to understand corrections differently, in a more complex nature. They use their understanding from LMA and use it to their advantage. It becomes more internal. All of this is knowledge, plus much much more, has come directly from Laban's work. As dancers we should appreciate all of the knowledge he has given us.

No comments:

Post a Comment